Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center
Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center is a Level II trauma center here in Corvallis, Oregon. It’s also the flagship institution of Samaritan Health Services, a nonprofit network of hospitals, clinics and health services throughout the Willamette Valley.
The hospital wasn’t always named after the good Samaritan, though. When it first opened its doors in 1922, its name was Corvallis General Hospital. So how did we come to share the same name?
In the 1940s, Corvallis General Hospital was near bankruptcy, struggling to pay its bonds after World War II. By then, the Church of the Good Samaritan had been an active player in Corvallis history for about 75 years, and we had always been committed to healing and care. We knew our city couldn’t afford to lose its hospital. So in 1947, we brought the issue to the attention of our Diocese.
In 1948, the hospital was reconstituted as a diocesan nonprofit and given a new name: Good Samaritan Hospital.
In 1975, Good Samaritan Hospital moved from its original building on Harrison to where it’s located today, off 99W on the north end of town. The year following, our Bishop Paul Bigliardi consecrated the new structure. In 2011, the old building was wrecked to make room for student housing — but not before the community got a chance to share their personal recollections (and take home a brick) at the commemoration ceremony.
Through the years, Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center has chosen to maintain its affiliation with our Diocese. It continues to reserve seats on its board for our rector and our bishop, and its chaplain regularly attends our Sunday services to preach and celebrate with us.
As a community that’s committed to caring for others, we’re proud to share our name with the hospital. We’re proud to have played a role in its history. And we’re proud of the work that Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center is doing in our community.
Every year, hundreds of Corvallis residents donate thousands of volunteer hours at Samaritan Health Services facilities. If you want to help Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center provide care to patients and their families, call the church office at (541) 757-6647 and ask for Simon+.
In 1956, the Church of the Good Samaritan was preparing to make a move. At the time, we were operating from the small church building that currently houses the Arts Center of Corvallis, located today just south of Central Park. But our membership was booming, and we needed a larger space.
So that year, we bought the Reardon property on 35th Street (our current location).
This property is larger, though, than you might think. It includes not only the lot with our building and parking lot, but the lot south of us, too, from Van Buren to Jackson Avenue.
Rather than building a rectory on the extra lot or dividing the property and selling it, we decided to create a retirement living facility for people of any faith, especially low-income seniors.
In 1962, we began drawing up plans for Samaritan Village. Three years later, we joined with our diocese to apply for a loan through HUD. In 1965, Samaritan Village opened its doors.
The retirement community is a non-profit organization owned by the Diocese of Oregon. Its board of directors is appointed by our vestry; all but one of the directors are also members of our church.
It’s no accident that Samaritan Village is called “the caring place.”
It provides affordable living in a peaceful neighborhood, located near community health facilities, public transit, and Oregon State University, with a chaplain and resident services coordinator to provide for residents’ personal and social needs.
We’re always looking for volunteers to serve on the board, or simply to support the residents of Samaritan Village by helping with Bible studies, administering the Eucharist, visiting shut-ins, providing occasional transportation, and participating in other similar programs. For details, please call the church office at (541) 757-6647.
Canterbury House Campus Ministry
In 1960, we sold our activity center on Seventh and Adams to the Elks, and bought the Wooster property on 26th and Monroe (across from the Beanery). Ever since, it’s been the home for our campus ministry.
Originally called the Canterbury Club, the campus ministry has gone through a lot of transitions over the years. In 1976, we renovated the building and built a meditation chapel in the basement. In the 1980s, its name changed to St. Anselm of Canterbury. Some years later, the bishop closed it. Then it was opened again by the Diocese of Oregon; it’s still officially a project of the Diocese today.
Known today as Canterbury House, this ministry is managed by campus chaplain Ruth Krueger of Good Sam.